Home Services - epc
How do I obtain an EPC? Speak to us! Using the latest technology, we’ll order the EPC extremely quickly, so you can commence marketing, and then track progress until it has been completed by the qualified Energy Assessor. We can then arrange for any potential buyer or tenant to have access to the EPC if requested by them.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates the energy efficiency of a property and its carbon emissions and suggests ways to improve its energy efficiency.
Since October 2008, all homes sold or rented out require an EPC, and the energy ratings had to be displayed on any Property Particulars, however, the regulations changed on 6th April 2012 to attach the front page of the EPC to any property particulars. 

I’m looking to sell my property – will I need an EPC?

Yes, you will need to have commissioned, but not necessarily received an EPC before marketing can start. The law also requires all estate agents to ensure that an EPC is in place or has been commissioned before marketing starts.

What do you mean by ‘commissioned an EPC’?

This means that you or your estate agent must have instructed an accredited Assessor to carry out an energy performance assessment and produce an EPC, and enclosed the payment for the EPC or an undertaking to pay for it.
For speed and convenience, we can organise this for you.
If you decide to organise the EPC yourself, your estate agent will need to receive the EPC itself, or evidence that the EPC has been commissioned, as explained above.

I’m looking to let out my property to tenants – will I need an EPC?

Yes. Your property will require an EPC to be in place before marketing can commence, so it can be available to show to potential tenants. A tenant is entitled to receive a copy of the EPC before moving into the property.

Are there any exceptions to the need to have an EPC?

An EPC is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold. A building will need an EPC if it has a roof and walls and has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. A garden shed, garage or old barn would not need an EPC if it does not use any energy to heat it up or cool it down. The following buildings are always exempt:
  • Place of worship.
  • Temporary building that will be used for less than two years.
  • Standalone buildings with a total useful floor area of fewer than 50 metres square that aren’t used to provide living accommodation for a single household.
Contact your nearest branch who can advise you if your property will need an EPC.


What is the penalty for not providing an EPC?

EPC’s carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential emissions that a property could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and emissions would be if energy saving measures were put in place.

The ratings measure the energy and carbon emission efficiency of a property using a grade from A to G. An A rating is the most efficient while G is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is D. All homes are measured using the same calculations so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

What recommendations will an EPC contain?

An EPC will provide a detailed report on the property, showing what can be done to help reduce the amount of energy used, and the carbon dioxide emitted. It will include:

Summary of the key elements in the property that have an impact on its performance ratings, such as windows, heating systems and controls.
Suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation.
Possible cost savings per year, if the improvements were made.
How the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property.

How long is an EPC valid for? 

10 years. However, if a newer EPC has been produced, the newer EPC must be used.

I have an EPC, but I have since put in new heating. Do I need a new EPC?

You do not need to do this if you don’t want to. Instead, you could provide written details on the home improvement that your Estate Agent, together with a written request to update the Property Particulars.


Find a branch closer to you

Branch finder